Halloween Tips: Care for Your Teeth
Halloween is a fun time to go door-to-door trick-or-treating with your children and see their faces light up with a bag full of candy when they arrive home.
This also means school and social events with bags and bags of candy. Harbor Point Dental Group in Stamford, CT recommends the following tips to care for your teeth and stay safe during the holiday.
The Candy Inspection
- Inspect candy and its wrappers with a trusted adult prior to eating any of the candy on halloween.
- Sticky candies like taffy and gummy bears take longer to get washed away by saliva.
- Unless sugar free, candies that stay in your mouth for a long period increase the risk of tooth decay.
- Avoid beverages with added sugar and drinking fluoridated water can help in tooth decay prevention.
- Eat candy with meals. Dentists recommend this because saliva production increases during meals and helps cancel out acids bacteria creates in your mouth.
- Don’t forget to brush your teeth and floss that night before bed.
Trick-or-Treating Safety Tips
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals.
- Teach children to make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street.
- Always walk on sidewalks. If a sidewalk is unavailable, face traffic while walking.
- Trick or treat with an adult.
- Make sure costumes have reflective tape or stickers and choose light color costumes.
- Carry glow sticks or flashlights.
- Link to more tips.
- Coloring activities for kids.
What Do Dentists Give Out for Halloween?
Have a memorable and safe halloween. Experience the New Stamford at Harbor Point Dental Group. Call a Patient Care Coordinator today to schedule an appointment: (203) 490-6226.