Holiday Parties: Don’t Forget the Toothbrush
The holidays are around the corner. We at Harbor Point Dental Group in Stamford, CT understand this means parties and numerous get-togethers with a large amount of extraordinary food.
Every place you go you notice candy trays and desserts. The temptation is high to have a snack multiple times a day and forget to brush your teeth.
Chewing sugarfree gum produces saliva that washes away bacteria after having your favorite snack or candy.
Harbor Point dentist Dr. Frank Cimato recommends the following tips to protect your teeth and maintain a healthy smile.
Tips for Holiday Eating – Protect Your Teeth
- Consume sugary foods with meals. Saliva production increases during meals and helps neutralize acid production and rinse food particles from the mouth.
- Limit between-meals snacks. If you crave a snack, choose nutritious foods and consider chewing sugarless gum afterward. Sugarless gum increases saliva flow and helps wash out food and decay-producing acid.
- Avoid chewing on hard candy or ice cubes.
- Pass on chewy treats.
- Drink more water. Consuming optimally fluoridated water can help prevent tooth decay. If you choose bottled water, check the label for the fluoride content.
- Brush your teeth twice daily and floss daily with ADA-accepted dental products.
- Don’t crack nuts with your teeth.
- Use proper tools to open packages and bottles.
- Say no to nail biting.
- Carry an oral hygiene travel kit with you and use it often.
- See your dentist regularly.
Experience the New Stamford at Harbor Point Dental Group. Call a Patient Care Coordinator today to schedule an appointment: (203) 490-6226.