What Are the Side Effects of Dry Mouth?
Harbor Point Dental Group understands that dry mouth may cause discomfort. If you experience dry mouth, let us help you get back to a happy and healthy smile.
Thirst is one of the major side effects you may discover with dry mouth. Typically with dry mouth, your body is not producing as much saliva as normal. Saliva is also vital for taste and digestion purposes. Saliva helps to flush out Food particles from your teeth, reducing acid. This also helps prevent tooth decay. Saliva production is important for your overall oral health but especially helps with dry mouth.
Dry mouth can occur when the glands in the mouth that make saliva are not working properly. Some common causes include:
- Certain medications
- Cancer therapy (radiation/chemotherapy)
- Autoimmune disorders such as Sjogren’s syndrome
Source: Colgate Dental News
What Other Side Effects Do You Need to Be Aware Of?
Harbor Point Dental is here to make you aware of the effects of dry mouth.
- Cracked lips
- Hoarse voice or tickle in your throat
- Over 400 medicines can cause dry mouth
- Nerve damage from a head or neck injury can lead to dry mouth.
Regular dental checkups are essential if you have dry mouth. Brush and floss every day. If you can’t brush after eating, rinse. Sip water frequently throughout the day, and use alcohol-free antiseptic mouthwash daily.
Tips to Boost Saliva Production
- Check with your doctor to see if medicine would help.
- Sucking on sugar-free candy or chewing sugar-free gum.
- Over-the-counter products help relieve dry mouth symptoms.
- Sipping water frequently helps keep your mouth moist.
- Drinking water or milk with meals increases moisture and helps with chewing and swallowing.
- Sleep in a room with a humidifier.
- Stay clear of sugary, acidic, or caffeinated drinks.
- See your dentist for regular cleanings and exams.
Don’t Wait: Maximize Your Dental Insurance Benefits Today
Harbor Point Dental Group reminds Stamford, CT residents that now is the time to get the dental care you need and maximize your dental benefits before new insurance plans start in 2019.
We know insurance may be confusing and every plan has different terms and coverage plans. That’s why our staff is equipped to help you with insurance questions, scheduling appointments and answering any other dental-related questions before meeting with our dentists and our hygienists. Contact us today.
Enroll with Dental Direct Today and Save Up to 60% on Over 150 Dental Services
Dental Direct was designed by dentists with the patient’s needs in mind, eliminating many of the restrictions of typical dental insurance plans like pre-approvals or age limitations. Dental Direct plans can serve as your primary, secondary, or supplemental alternative to traditional insurance. With Dental Direct, you will receive discounts on cosmetic, restorative and specialist treatment care. Dental Direct is your alternative for maxed out benefits and more. Enroll Today.